Wednesday, May 26, 2010

back in business

Well,
So I had a disappointing few weeks, with a major disappointment not getting on the songwriting TV show. But life must go on. So I'm back to writing. I have 6 songs with no lyrics, since I was trying to write as many musical ideas as possible. So I've got a lot of work to do. Lyrics can be intimidating for me - sometimes they flow, sometimes I struggle for days. Especially if the song is of a personal, emotional nature -sometimes it's hard for me to pin down my feelings in a way that is clearly understood by the listener. So many songs on the radio are NOT clearly understood, so I guess it's not imperative that the listener know what the heck is going on, but I like to try my best so that other people can relate to what I'm feeling. Isn't that what we're supposed to do as creative people is move other people's emotions, get them to think and feel? Or is it art for art's sake - just write for the pure pleasure of writing, regardless if anyone else "gets it"? I think it should be both - write for the pleasure and expression of my soul, and try to stretch into someone else's emotional boundaries a bit and get them to feel it too, if possible. Does that make sense? As if we all have a little bubble of emotion surrounding us, and those bubbles can collide or cross or become inter-twined with each other. So that for a split second, or 3 and 1/2 minutes to be precise, we can feel exactly the same way and understand each other. So music can bring our souls together by way of understanding each other. We can express through each other's joy and pain. How many times have I heard someone say they sent a song to someone to express what they wanted to say? Someone I know got divorced and sent Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me" to his ex. I've sent songs to ex-boyfriends that said what I could not. So the songwriter can be the spokesperson for the soul, and not just the writer's soul, but humanity's soul. Wow, that's big. Makes me want to keep writing! Can't give up - never give up! I guess being a songwriter is a pretty lofty aspiration after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment